David John Longstaff, FISTC, IQA.
Address: 7 Lodge Gate, Great Linford, Milton Keynes, MK14 5EW
Phone: 01908 676463
Mobile: 07966 399748
Starting in the IT and Communications industry as a Transmission Network Engineer and Technical Trainer, moving into 'Quality, Systems, and Strategy' in 1986 as a Business Analyst, Technical Author, Project, and Quality Improvement Manager.
A 'Fellow of the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators' (FISTC), a certified 'Internal Quality Auditor', and a member of the IQA forum.
Technical Author/writer/Communicator and Editor (FISTC).
Publications Management, information development, design, and implementation in printed, On Line Help and Web formats to agreed styles, templates, and standards. My ability to take documents written by developers, or other authors, that were rejected by clients and quickly turn them into accepted documents resulted in one client giving me the title of 'The Document Doctor'.
Analysis (BRA), Gap Analysis (GA), Business Process Management (BPM), Business
Process Re-design (BPR), and Change Management (CM).
Hardware, Software, and Process development life cycle management using Total Quality Management Tools and Techniques. Incorporating requirements analysis, research, design, development, implementation, documentation, training, and auditing.
Quality Assurance (IQA) Management, Auditing and Testing.
A certified BS5750 & ISO9000:2008 Internal Quality Auditor (ASCB(E)) and Author. Managing quality service improvement, security, KPIs, RFCs etc... Producing and maintaining ISO/Business compliance procedures, processes, and local work instructions. Analysis and functional testing (Manual & Automatic) of Products, Services, Applications, and procedures; often identifying issues that other auditors/testers may have missed.
Writing and delivering technical training, including hardware, software, and engineering techniques; incorporating site surveying, delivery, installation, commissioning/testing, and auditing skills.
2007 - Solutions Consultant Quality ITC Consultants Limited
2001 - 2007 Technical Publications Manager and Quality Auditor Aculab Plc
1997 - 2000 Programme/Quality Manager and Trainer Call-Out Services Limited
1994 - 1997 Solutions Consultant Quality ITC Consultants Limited
1986 - 1994 Quality, Systems, & Strategy Executive Engineer British Telecom Plc
1972 - 1986 IT & Telecommunications Transmission Engineer British Telecom Plc
City & Guilds
Fellow of the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators (FISTC)
Member of the Quality Audit Professionals and IQA forums
Member of Quality Management Professionals
Former Member of the Chamber of Commerce Training & Enterprise – Technical Trainer
Certified Company Quality Auditor
Further Management, Technical, Network, System, Administration, and application training details are attached.
Puzzles (enigmas): Web Development: Engineering fabrication in wood, metal, & plastic: Classic Car Restoration (Engine & Body re-build), founder of Milton Keynes Classic car Club (www.mkccc.com): Painting, Sculpturing etc...
REFEREES - Available on request.
Web Site. http://www.qitc.com
2007 - Current - Quality ITC Consultants Limited.
Providing Technical Authoring (TA), Testing (T), Quality Assurance (QA), Business Analysis (BA), and Technical Training (TT) services for Information Technology and Communications (ITC) clients such as:
· Freelance - Authoring, testing, Editing, Blogs, Articles, and Websites (developing and managing),
· T-Systems - Program Management Office - Technical Publication working as a consultant on the BP Global Telecommunications Solutions contract. Writing Proposal, Transition & Transformation, Implementation, & support documentation. Including:
o Overall Solution Designs
o Technical Implementation Plans
o Site Proposals
o Detailed Level Architecture Designs
o Service Order Guides
o Operations Manuals
o Procedures, Processes, & Work Instructions
o 3rd party support agreements
o Documentation Templates
o Style Guides
· Alcatel - Eircom project - AXIOS digital order and service management project. (BA, TA, T)
· Egon Zehnder International - Orchestra global desktop & Blackberry client and server migration project from Adapt to Deskflow. 3rd party support process documentation. (TA, T, TT)
· Fujitsu - Ford SWIFT project, Analysis and proposal documentation for the Jaguar Migration to Tatra. (BA, TA)
· CACHE - HR, Finance and IT systems, SI Procedures & Process (ISO9000:2000/8) author. (BA, QA, TA, TT)
· Alcatel - HMG Highways NGN project, developing and documenting architect solutions for he integration of old analogue networks onto a new IP network along with associated OSS such as Genesys Express, Webserve, Provisio, Netcool and PAMS (Predictive Asset Management System). (TA, T, TT, QA)
2001 – 2007 Aculab Plc - Technical Publications Manager and Quality Auditor
Business Process Analyst, Technical Author, and ISO9000:2000/8 auditor. Managing the analysis, development, assembly, testing (hardware, firmware & application), and documentation for an entire product range of Computer Telephony Integration (CTI) hardware and software products to industry & regulatory standards, including Speech recognition, Text to Speech, IP, VoIP, DPNSS, SS7, etc protocols.
Over 100 Standard, Approval, API, SDK, GUI, Installation, User, Support, and Admin documents in Printed, PDF, Internet, and On Line Help formats.
1997 – 2000 Call Out Services - Director/Programme Manager - Telecoms Systems Division
Managing analysis, design (pre sales solution architecture), staging, testing (Hardware, software & installation), delivery and Quality Auditing of IT and telecommunication installation and support services into BT exchanges and corporate business Blue chip clients, such as Bank of America and Anglian Water. Predominantly green field projects. Building the infrastructure, setting up production/staging facilities, Management, Admin, and Installation Teams. Training site surveyors, installation engineers, commissioning testers, and quality auditors.
· Commended by BT purchasing as an outstanding top preferred installer
· Achieved ISO 9000:2000 for the entire group of companies in less than 3 months
· Managed the Installation of 1700 sites in two years (Integrating voice and data services)
· Cisco, 3Com, Newbridge, and Microsoft certified business partner
· Including software, Network, system, EPOS, telephony, and PC procurement, Installation, and support
1994 – 1997 Quality ITC Consultants Limited - Consultant
Business Process Analysis and ISO9000:2000 auditing. Providing the Analysis, Testing, Technical Authoring, and Technical Training services to the Information Technology and Communications (ITC) field for clients such as Ionica (Fixed Wireless Access project), Alcatel (SDH project), Hewlett Packard (SS7 & Fraud Analysis projects).
1986 – 1994 British Telecom Plc – Quality, Systems, & Strategy Executive Engineer
Taking BT Private Services from a manual testing and paper docket control systems to a fully automated primary diagnostic and fault management system. Part of a dedicated ICT development, implementation, and support team, personally responsible for:
· All SLAs and customer/supplier performance monitoring (KPIs).
· Business Analysis of existing and future BT Private Services requirements.
· Project managing the budget and development of Automatic Loopback Equipment systems (ALES).
· Managing Procurement (tenders) and installation of Remote Access Equipment into over 3000 locations.
· Specifying and managing the development of a mainframe CRM (CAMSS) system for the records and fault management of all BT Private Services.
· Writing SGML format user documentation on MVS mainframes
· Implementing a 9000 user support (helpdesk) network.
· Change managing the national migration to the new systems including procedures, processes, & training.
Part of a 3 year £80M project, enabling BT Private Services to reduce there support staff requirements by over 60%.
1972 – 1986 British Telecom Plc – Network Services Transmission Engineer
Electro-mechanical and Electronic Transmission Engineer working on the Provision and Maintenance of Speech and Data services. Delivering analogue and digital core networks and private services for both the PSTN and private sectors.
Dave Longstaff - Formal Qualifications & Training Addendum
Due to my extensive experience, not all training/skills have been listed. For specific details please contact me directly.
Management Training courses
Total Quality Management (Tools and Techniques), incorporating 6-Sigma, Prince, etc...
Quality Management Systems (BS5750, ISO 9000/4 & ISO9000:2000/8)
Project Management Méthodologies (MSP, Prince, SSADM, RAD/agile, UML etc...).
High Impact Management Training.
Involving everyone (team building/managing).
Leadership through teamwork.
Safety for managers.
Systems for System Managers
Systems for System Users
Management Information Systems
Technical Training courses
Provision & maintenance of Speech band Circuits
Introduction to Data Communications
Remote Access and Test Systems
FDM and Carrier Principles
Packet Switching Systems
Frost and Sullivan - data Communications
SNA Gateway Systems
Datel 1200 Duplex Systems
Integrated data Management System (IDMS)
Optical Fiber Systems (including DWDM)
High Order Digital Line Systems (PDH, SDH, SONET, DWDM)
Introduction to Oracle and SQL
Introduction to C for non programmers
Introduction to HP UX9 System Administration
Cisco Network design, pre & post Sales support (3 years pre-sales product training)
3Com (2 years pre-sales)
Newbridge (Mainstreet Certified),
Information Technology and Communications Experience
Project Management Tools. (Super Project
Expert, MSP, AIM, UML, ITiL etc)
Desk Top Publishing and Word Processing. (FrameMaker, Interleaf, Author-IT, Word etc…)
On Line Help (HP tag, CHM, Robohelp, HTML Help etc…)
Internet and Intranet (web) development (SGML, HTML, DHTML, XML, Dreamweaver etc...)
CAD and Drawing Packages. (Autocad, Visio, PowerPoint, Freehand, PSP, Illustrator etc…)
Application & GUI testing, manual and automated (test scripts, Win Robot etc....)
Spreadsheets (Supercalc, Lotus 123,
Relational and Desktop databases (DB2. Access, Oracle, SQL - etc)
Information Management (MS CRM, Great Plains, Sharepoint, web servers, Dewi Decimal etc...).
System and Network Management (Netcool, Webserve, Openview, Genesys Express, Provisio, etc...)
Data and PSTN Communications. (Copper pair, Co-ax, optical Fiber, FRA, Wireless, etc...).
Communications Systems (PDH, SDH & SONET, DWDM).
Wireless systems (FRA, GSM, DCS, 3G).
Networks - WAN, LAN, Wifi,
TCPIP & SNA Networks & security (Cisco, Alcatel Mainstreet, RAD,
Transmission protocols (TDM, TCP/IP, VoIP, ATM, X25, FR, DPNSS, SS7, G.703, 802.11*, QSIG, etc...).
Operating Systems - Windows 3.1, NT, 98, 2000, Vista, 7, Windows Servers, X-Windows, UNIX and MVS.